How to Submit a Development Application Online

Where can I lodge my Development Application (DA)?


All Development Applications are to be submitted online via the NSW Government Planning Portal

If you are seeking council approval on a new build or renovation you can follow the steps on the Department of Planning and Environment’s Planning Portal


Both the general community and developers can use the portal to complete planning processes and online transactions including Development Applications and Complying Development Certificates. You can also track all submitted Development Applications across NSW using the sites spatial viewer.


How to Lodge Your Development Application (DA) via the NSW Planning Portal


To lodge an application that is ready for assessment via the NSW Planning Portal, you will need to first register an account.

After registering, you will be able to Lodge the Development Application.

For further assistance, the New South Wales Government has released a comprehensive guide to the Development Application process, explaining the process involved (including construction approval processes) to assist the public with preparing and lodging applications that are ready for assessment. The guide also provides explanations of each step towards a determination. The guide is available here.


The Process - Step by Step

Applicant collates documentation and information required for their application and lodges the application Online via the NSW Planning Portal.

1) All documents and plans are to be uploaded to the portal as part of the application process; ensuring documents/plans are labelled in accordance with Council's checklist. There is no fee payable at this stage. An acknowledgement letter will be issued. 

Additional information on preparing and collating the required information is available in the following:

Fact Sheet - Preparing Plans for Development Applications(PDF, 696KB)

Checklist - Development Applications Online Lodgement(PDF, 726KB)


2) Council will review the documentation within 72 business hours* of receipt of the application (working days).

*Please note, unfortunately we are experiencing unanticipated increase in demand for development services.

Please be assured these delays are only temporary. We apologise if you are experiencing delays with your application. Please allow up to 5 business days for your application to be reviewed and allocated to the appropriate assessment team. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

The customer will be contacted via the portal for the following:

  • Acceptance of the application and request for fee/s to be paid (Please note that payment details should be emailed directly to council, not uploaded via the portal), or
  • Return of the application with a request for additional information to be provided.


3) When the required fee/s is paid, the application will then be lodged as a Development Application, Section 4.55 modification and assessment of the application will commence. 

More information on Development Application Assessment can be found here.


Are there any fees?

Submission of the Development Application must be accompanied by the appropriate Development Application fee. A Schedule of Fees can be obtained from Council’s Customer Service Centre. The calculated fee is based on the estimated cost of the work for the development.

If you are proposing to pay your application fees using a credit card, please complete Payment by credit card form(PDF, 417KB) with the preferred option and include the form with your application. (Please note that payment details should be emailed directly to council, not uploaded via the planning portal).

Please note that Development Applications lodged under the provisions of Schedule 1 of SEPP (Major Development) 2005 and those applications subject to the Sydney Central City Planning Panel are to use the definition of Capital Investment Value as defined within the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations 2000.

Capital investment value of a development or project includes all costs necessary to establish and operate the project, including the design and construction of buildings, structures, associated infrastructure and fixed or mobile plant and equipment.


Track the progress of your Development Application

You will find applications that have been lodged via the NSW Planning Portal and submitted to Council for assessment using Council’s Application Tracker. 

Track my Development Application


Need Further Assistance?

Council officers are available to assist you lodge your online application during regular office hours or by calling our contact centre on 02 9843 0555 (8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays).


Need advice about Council regulations that might affect your building or development project?

From garden sheds to granny flats and more – our Development Advisor will assist you to understand the application process requirements.

To organise an appointment with a Development Advisor (to be held at Council's Customer Service Centre - 3 Columbia Court Norwest) it is essential to book online before you visit



Construction Certificate

Any development application is to be followed by a Construction Certificate to build or construct works, and may be issued by Council or a private certifier.

Guide to Appointing Council as Your Certifying Authority(PDF, 82KB)



Will my Neighbours be advised of the Development Application?

Public notification of an application depends on the type of development proposed. However, it is advised, prior to lodgement of the development application with Council that you discuss your proposal with your neighbours.

It may also provide an opportunity for you to consider any suggestions from your neighbours and thereby avoid delay in the processing of the application at a later date.

Guideline - Should I Make a Submission(PDF, 129KB)


Political Donations of Gifts

Any applicant is required to disclose the following reportable political donations and gifts (if any) made by the applicant or any person with a financial interest in the application within the period commencing two (2) years before the application is made and ending when the application is determined.

  • All reportable political donations made to any local Councillor of that Council.
  • All gifts made to any local Councillor or employee of that Council. (This includes any donations made at the time the person was a candidate for election to Council)

The disclosure of a reportable political donation or gift is to be made:

  • In, or in a statement accompanying the relevant planning application. if the donation or gift is made before the application or submission is made, or
  • If the donation or gift is made afterwards, in a statement of the person to whom the planning application was made within seven (7) days after the donation or gift is made.