Do You Require Development Approval?

What you need to know

You are bound by law to submit a Development Application (DA) to Council for:

  • Any building, demolition or subdivision works and
  • For any development requiring consent under:


The Hills Local Environmental Plan (The Hills LEP) 2019

This document outlines land uses permissible within different zones of The Hills Shire.

Before submitting an application also read any relevant:

Development Control Plans (DCP)


Why are Development Applications (DAs) required by Council?

Council may,

  • Assess your plans and information
  • Inspect your property and
  • Determine whether your proposal is appropriate


Council seeks to ensure that a proposal,

  • Is a permissible and appropriate use of the site according to its zoning
  • Complies with the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
  • Complies with the relevant Development Control Plan (DCP) or the land-use activity
  • Complies with any Development Control Plans applicable to the land
  • Has no detrimental visual impact upon a locality
  • Has no adverse impact upon occupants of adjacent properties in the locality.


Submit a Building and Development Enquiry

Need advice about Council regulations that might affect your building or development project?

Council’s Customer Service Team offers general entry level advice in response to your phone and written general building and development enquiries.

This service is suitable for questions on:

  • application lodgement
  • preliminary stages of planning and
  • small scale developments

Find out more here.


Need assistance with large scale or complex developments?

Council requires a formal pre-lodgement meeting for larger scale or complex developments like:

  • Residential flat buildings
  • Multi dwelling housing development
  • Small lot housing (Refer to Clause 4.1B Exceptions to minimum lot sizes for certain residential development of The Hills Local Environmental Plan 2012)
  • Affordable Rental Housing (not Secondary Dwellings)
  • Seniors Living developments
  • Child Care Centres
  • New or extensions/alterations to commercial developments
  • New or extensions/alterations to industrial buildings
  • Designated development
  • Telecommunications Facilities
  • Larger scale rural activities
  • Subdivision proposals (as outlined above).


More information and an online request form is available here.