The Hills Shire Rate Books

The Hills Shire was proclaimed on 6 March 1906 but until November 2008 it was known as the Baulkham Hills Shire. The inaugural meeting of the first elected Council was held on 8 December 1906.

Rates were introduced in 1907. The recording of information was necessary so that the properties within the Shire could be assessed.

The earliest volumes were:

  • conventional ledger style,
  • bound in sheep skin,
  • with water wave cloth boards,
  • measuring 572mm x 450mm x 46mm

From 1907 to 1909 there were three volumes. There was one for each riding, which is now known as wards.

A Riding included the north of the Shire, across:

  • Annangrove
  • Dural
  • Glenorie
  • Kenthurst
  • Lower Portland
  • Rouse Hill
  • Wisemans Ferry

B Riding included:

  • Baulkham Hills
  • Kellyville

C Riding included:

  • Castle Hill
  • West Pennant Hills

In the 1910 Rate Book, A, B, C Ridings were in one volume. The 1911 to 1913 Rate Book was originally three volumes. There was A, B, C Ridings but only the records from B and C survived.

Library volunteer Ian Beckett transcribed the Shire's early rate books. This makes information more accessible to family and local historians. It also helps tell the story of the Shire's development.

The records vary but usually contain:

  • Assessment/rate number: a number given to each property.
  • Name of owner/ratepayer: when the name of owner or ratepayer change, the original entry was crossed out and the new details written in. The trade/occupation and address of the owner/ratepayer/occupier was often shown.
  • Description of property: Contained information about the situation and area or dimensions of the land including the name of the Parish, the Portion number or part (pt), and sometimes the Subdivision details. Street names are not shown.
  • Annual rates: Shown in pounds and shillings. The assessed value of the property was used to set the rates payable by the owner or occupier.
  • Unimproved (UCV)/improved capital value (ICV): A difference between these amounts may indicate that a building or fencing had been constructed on the property.

You can view the records from these Rate Books as Online Tables:





Parish maps show the transfer of land. This transfer is from government to the first individual to own the portion of land by either grant or purchase. This has nothing to do with church parishes. Portion numbers act as starting points. They trace changes of land ownership through land title records and parish maps

Those in The Hills Shire are Parishes of:

  • Cornelia
  • Maroota
  • Nelson
  • Castle
  • Some of the Field of Mars

As development progressed in the Shire, portions were subdivided amongst families and from the late nineteenth century through the sale of advertised subdivisions.

The Local Studies Collection at Castle Hill Library contains Parish maps and local Subdivision Plans that can assist researchers in locating properties.

For more information please contact the Development Officer Customer & Information Services on 029761 4554, Monday Friday or by email.