Apply for Fireworks Event Licence


A Pyrotechnician’s or fireworks (single use) licence may be issued to someone wishing to have a fireworks event. The licence is issued by WorkCover NSW.

Conditions of that licence include notification to Council of any use of fireworks, distress signals or model rocket propellant device at least 7 working days before the event.

Council is not the approval authority, but may object or impose conditions on the proposed use of the fireworks. A fireworks display (or similar) cannot proceed if the objections of any authority (which includes Council, police and fire brigade) have not been resolved.

Matters that Council are required to be taken into consideration include:

  • the appropriateness of the location of the display;
  • the reason for the display;
  • the types of firework that are proposed to be used;
  • the impact on any affected residents and businesses;
  • the impact on animal welfare;
  • public liability issues;
  • noise;
  • pollution;
  • public nuisance;
  • appropriate notification by the applicant to properties neighbouring the proposed display;
  • the proposed procedure for the disposal of spent fireworks;
  • whether appropriate crowd and traffic management issues have been addressed where the display is likely to draw crowds; and
  • any local conditions that the council may consider to be relevant.


For further information email or contact Council's Health and Environment Protection Division on +61 2 9843 0555.