Need help with flood cleanup?
If you are a resident of the Hills Shire and you have been impacted by the floods and need assistance with cleanup, please call our Customer Service Centre on 02 9843 0555 or complete the online form below to request a free skip bin for flood waste. You will need to tell us your name, location, approximate amount of waste material (in cubic metres), the type of waste (including any hazardous material) as well as any issues relating to accessing the site.
Please note due to Federal and State funding allowances this service will be concluding for most areas on 30 June, 2021 (Pages Wharf Road cleanup will continue).
When requesting a skip bin, please consider the following:
- The following timeframes apply to the delivery and pick up of skip bins:
- 5-10 working days for the delivery of skip bins
- 10-15 working days for the pickup of full skip bins
- Please do not lodge multiple requests. This will not speed up delivery or pick up. This will create a new request for the team to assess, which will take time away from your request that is currently in the system.
- If you have not received your bin in 10 working days, or had a bin picked up in 15 workings day from your request, please contact Council on 02 9843 0555
For advice on how to clean a flood affected property, click here.
Click here to view form.
Pages Wharf Road Restoration
Two sections of Pages Wharf Road have collapsed as a result of the March 2021 floods, resulting in closure of the road for repair. Read more about the road restoration here:
Pages Wharf Road Restoration Fact Sheet(PDF, 1021KB)
If you are a resident of the Hills Shire and the riverbank on your property had been impacted by the floods, complete the online form below.
Click here to view form.
THE SALVATION ARMY - MARCH 2021 NSW FLOODS GRANT
The Salvation Army NSW Flood Grant, for people who have suffered significant loss or hardship as a result of the NSW Floods in March 2021, can now be applied for online.
- The grant consists of a $1,000 payment per household.
- To apply please visit www.salvationarmy.org.au/nswfloods
- The grant will remain open until eligible applications have been processed or all available funds are exhausted.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the grant you must meet all the below criteria:
- Your work or primary place of residence is in a flood impacted area
- You have suffered significant loss or damage to your primary place of residence or primary vehicle; or you have not been able to work due to the floods
- You or anyone in your household has not previously received a NSW Floods grant from The Salvation Army
To complete your application, you will need to provide:
- A form of ID that can confirm your name and primary place of residence address, such as a driver's licence
- A secondary document that confirms your address such as a rate notice or utility bill
- Your bank details
- Supporting evidence, such as a referral letter or statutory declaration, may be required
The grant will remain open until eligible applications have been processed or all available funds are exhausted.
Service NSW are providing a one stop shop for access to available recovery services for people and businesses impacted by floods, including the following:
- Accommodation advice
- Relevant charitable services
- Mental health and wellbeing services
- Support for businesses
- Financial assistance
- Insurance and legal support
- Replacing lost ID
The State Government will be providing clean-up assistance to all flood-impacted house-holds and businesses regardless of insurance status including the removal of debris, mud and green waste.
For more information, visit the Service NSW website.
Click here for information on clean up advice.(PDF, 85KB)
Rebuilding after the floods
The Hills Shire Council has approved a number of initiatives to help flood affected residents to rebuild with ease. The initiatives, for applications lodged up until 30 June 2022, for flood-affected properties include:
- DAs submitted for construction or reconstruction works will have DA fees and Compliance Levy fees waived;
- Section 68 applications to carry out reinstallation of a structure will have application fees waived;
- Section 68 applications to reinstall or operate a sewage management system will have application fees waived;
- Section 68 applications for the approval to operate a Caravan Park will have application fees waived;
- Where possible, DAs, construction certificate applications and the like from flood impacted areas will be prioritised by Council’s assessment team;
- Work may be conducted by Council officers on private property should the need arise to complement clean-up activities coordinated by Resilience NSW, and
- Fees will be waived for Council work to assist with the piling and clearing of vegetation or debris caused by the flood, for removal by others, on private land.
More information on these initiatives is available here - Extraordinary Council Meeting - 1 April 2021.
Waste Operations Information for People and Businesses impacted by Floods - Household Bin Collection
Please continuously leave your household bins at the kerbside for collection until they have been emptied. Bins will be emptied as soon as road access for garbage trucks is available. If you have any surplus household waste, please bag it and place it beside the bin for collection. Thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.
To report a missed bin collection, please contact the Waste Hotline on 1800 623 895 Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm or click here to report it online.
About Local Emergency Management
The Local Emergency Management Committee is responsible for the preparation of plans in relation to the prevention of, preparation for, response to, and recovery from emergencies in The Hills Shire Local Government Area.
Emergency management is not a choice for Local Government – it's a legislative requirement. For information on the NSW State Emergency Management Structure visit the Ministry of Police and Emergency Services website.
The NSW Disaster Preparedness website provides a range of information to help the community get ready for fires, floods and storms.