Becoming an Australian Citizen is a very special occasion and an important decision that will impact on the rest of your life and the future of your children.
Australian Citizenship Ceremonies are hosted by Council for Shire residents who have applied to become Australian citizens through the Department of Home Affairs. Ceremonies are held throughout the year with one major ceremony on Australia Day.
In addition to those benefits that come with permanent residence, the legal status of Australian Citizenship carries with it the right to:
- Vote and elect Australia's Government
- Stand for public office or nominate for election to Parliament
- Apply for an Australian passport and leave and enter the country without an entry visa
- Seek consular assistance from Australia's diplomatic representatives while overseas
- Apply to enlist in the armed forces and for government jobs
- Register children as Australian Citizens by descent
If you would like information regarding becoming an Australian Citizen visit the Department of Home Affairs website or call their information line on 131 880
Upcoming Citizenship Ceremonies
Once your Australian Citizenship application is processed by the Department of Home Affairs you will receive a letter advising you that your application has been successful. The next step is to attend a ceremony.
- It takes 6 - 9 months before you will be sent a second letter from the Department of Immigration inviting you to attend your Citizenship ceremony.
- Attendance to a ceremony to become a Australian Citizen is a privilege and is by invitation only.
- This second letter from the Department of Immigration is sent directly to candidates approximately four - six weeks prior to their ceremony date.
Please note: Council does not determine who will attend the various ceremonies and does not send letters to the candidates.
Ceremony Dates for 2021
(Note: Dates and locations are subject to change)
- Tuesday 26 January, 2021 (Australia Day)
- Monday 29 March, 2021
- Monday 17 May, 2021
- Monday 19 July, 2021
- Friday 17 September, 2021 (National Citizenship Day)
- Monday 15 November, 2021
All ceremonies will be held in Council Chambers, 3 Columbia Court, Norwest 2153.
If you would like more information about the ceremony that you have been invited to attend, phone The Hills Shire Council on +61 2 9843 0425 or email email@example.com
Alternatively, if you have applied for Citizenship, and haven’t received your invitation please call the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880.
The Hills Shire Council can assist with the translation of information. Anyone requiring a translation or an interpreter can either visit Council's Administration Centre for assistance or contact the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 and ask an interpreter to call Council on +61 2 9843 0555 and enquire on their behalf.