Do You Require Development Approval?

You are legally bound to submit a Development Application (DA) to Council for any building, demolition or subdivision works and for any development requiring consent under The Hills Local Environmental Plan (The Hills LEP) 2012. The Hills LEP 2012 outlines, among other things, the land uses permissible within different zones of The Hills Shire.

Prior to submitting an application, obtain and read carefully any relevant Development Control Plans (DCP) or guidelines to the development proposed.

Development Applications are required so that Council may assess your plans and information, inspect your property and determine whether your proposal is appropriate.

Council seeks to ensure that a proposal:

  • Is a permissible and appropriate use of the site according to its zoning;
  • Complies with the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (as amended);
  • Complies with the relevant DCP or the land-use activity.
  • Complies with any Development Control Plans applicable to the land;
  • Has no detrimental visual impact upon a locality;
  • Has no adverse impact upon occupants of adjacent properties in the locality.

Discuss your application with a Council officer or organise a pre-lodgement meeting

Before formally submitting the development application and accompanying information to Council, it is necessary to visit the Customer Service Centre at the Council Chambers and discuss your application with the relevant Duty Officer (this is called a pre-lodgement meeting). No prior appointment is necessary. For more information or to book use this online form.

For all major residential, industrial, commercial and subdivision applications, it will be necessary to make an appointment for a formal pre-lodgement meeting.

To make the appointment please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre (Phone: +61 2 9843 0555) and ask for the relevant Duty Officer, i.e. Building Surveyor, Town Planner, Subdivision Engineer.