Pool & Spa Safety
Pool safety is a system of child-resistant barriers that restrict access to the spa/pool area by children.
Two factors are consistently identified with pool drownings and near drownings:
- access to the pool and
- adult supervision
NSW Child Drowning Report
A 15 year analysis of causal factors for fatal drowning of children under 5 years in private swimming pools 2002/03-2016/17.
NSW Child Drowning Report for Private Swimming Pools(PDF, 3MB)
What can I do?
Check there are adequate pool safety barriers in place separating the pool from the residence, adjoining properties and the neighbourhood.
- Are these barriers compliant with current legislation?
- Ensure all of the pool safety barriers are maintained and operating eg check gates are self-closing and self-latching.
- Supervise children when using the swimming pool.
- Make sure pool gates are kept closed at all times.
- Keep articles, objects and structures at least 900mm clear of the pool fence at all times, eg chairs, pot plants.