Organise a Household Kerbside Clean-Up Collection
What you need to know - Conditions
Household bins and clean-up material will now be collected from 5am on local roads and 4am on main roads in order to stagger drivers for social distancing purposes. For more information, read the media release.
When you request a household kerbside clean-up collection, a clean-up date will be provided to you and this date should fall within 14 to 28 days of your call or online request being processed.
Please read the information below prior to making your booking online via the form below or calling the Waste Hotline on 1800 623 895.
About this service
- This service is available twice per calendar year, anytime throughout the year, at your request.
- The clean-up day usually happens on the same day as your bin collection day and may be collected over two days.
- Bookings are taken on behalf of Council by its Waste Collection Contractor, Cleanaway. If you have provided your mobile number at the time of booking, you should receive an automated text message reminder the day before your collection date. A confirmation letter and sticker will also be sent to you with details of the household kerbside clean-up collection service.
- Residents living in units/townhouses & villas are to request a clean-up through Strata Manager or Executive Committee. The clean-up collection will be for the whole complex. Each unit/townhouse/villa will receive a confirmation letter with details of the household kerbside clean-up collection.
When can I put my waste out at the kerbside?
- Clean up materials are only to be placed on the kerb the night before the collection date provided. Materials placed at the kerbside earlier than the night before may incur a penalty without previous written Council approval.
- Residents MUST NOT place materials at the kerbside unless a clean-up booking has been made (materials placed at the kerbside without a booking may be treated as illegal dumping and may incur a penalty).
What can I dispose of through the Household Kerbside Clean-Up Collection?
- The Clean-up Service is for bulky household items only. Bulky items are those that do not fit into your general household bins. Please refer to the ‘Acceptable Clean-Up Items’ list below.
- Mirrors or glass of any type are not accepted as part of the kerbside clean-up collection service owing to safety risks for collectors and the general public. Further unacceptable items are listed below under ‘Non-Acceptable Clean-Up Items’
Acceptable Household Clean-Up Items
Please place materials in 4 separate piles:
- Pile 1: Bulky garden organics such as pruned trees; timber such as fence palings (nails removed). NOTE: all vegetation must be bundled and tied and no longer than 1.5metres in length. Branches must be less than 10cm in diameter. If it is not practicable to bundle and tie loose vegetation, it must be suitably bagged or put into a box.
- Pile 2: Whitegoods/steel and metal products such as stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and most hot water systems under 300 litres in capacity and under 1.5m in length. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers prior to being placed out on the kerbside next to your other household metal items. Other household metal items (e.g. clothes line and trampolines) are limited to 1.5m in length. Please contact the Waste Hotline on 1800 623 895 if you are unsure.
- Pile 3: Mattresses are collected by a separated truck to be recycled. Please ensure if you have more than one mattress, that they are stacked neatly.
- Pile 4: Other bulky waste; furniture, carpet (rolls must be bundled and tied and no longer than 1.5 metres in length), furnishings, clothing and bedding. Other unwanted household goods such as toys and tools. All loose items must be bagged or put in a box, and comfortably handled by two people.
Non-Acceptable Clean Up Items
- Medical waste, building and demolition materials, trade, industrial, commercial and shop wastes, liquids and putrescible waste (household garbage including food waste);
- Trees, tree trunks and stumps, thorny plant materials, stones, soil and masonry products such as concrete;
- Motor vehicles, engines and car parts;
- Chemicals and hazardous wastes including fuels, gas bottles, oils, paints, asbestos, batteries and poisons;
- Glass of any type and/or mirrors and perspex; and
- Items not originating from the household, items not comfortably handled by two people or commercial quantities of material
Clean-up materials that do not comply will not be removed. Please contact the Waste Hotline on 1800 623 895 if you are unsure.
Do you have polystyrene foam to dispose of?
Polystyrene foam can be disposed of through the red lidded garbage bin. Do Not place polystyrene foam into the yellow lidded recycling bin. Polystyrene foam should be placed into a bag before being disposed of in the red lidded garbage bin as loose or large pieces of polystyrene may get wedged in the bin, making it difficult for the truck to empty it completely.
If you have a large amount of polystyrene foam to dispose of, you may like to include it in your household kerbside clean-up collection. Polystyrene foam must be bagged or boxed prior to being placed out on the kerbside to prevent it from blowing away.
If you have good quality, second hand items, you may like to consider donating them to a charity organisation.
There are also a number of online platforms available which will allow you to swap or sell unwanted items.
Recycling Near You - The Planet Ark ‘ Recycling Near You’ website provides numerous recycling opportunities for common household items. To view the directory, see https://recyclingnearyou.com.au/. Please note: fees may apply for some of the services.
Other recycling and disposal options are available here.
How can I book a Household Kerbside Clean-Up Collection?
Council has recently streamlined its waste services into a brand new online portal in partnership with Cleanaway.
The Household Kerbside Clean-Up Collection Service is managed by our waste collection contractor, Cleanaway. To make a booking, please click on the link below to be re-directed to the Hills Shire Council/Cleanaway booking portal.
Please note: Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser and will be unable to load the booking portal. Please use a different browser.
Make a booking here
Alternatively, call the Waste Hotline on 1800 623 895.
Please note if you live in an apartment or townhouse, your strata or executive committee must call the Waste Hotline to request a Household Kerbside Clean-Up Collection on behalf of the whole complex. Requests cannot be made through the booking portal.
For more information on Council's waste service contact 1800 623 895 or email email@example.com