Selling or Giving Away a Cat or Dog?
From 1 July new rules will apply - You will need to include a microchip, or breeder, or rehoming body number in your ads.
From 1 July 2019, people selling or giving away kittens, cats, puppies or dogs, will need to include an identification number in any advertisements.
The identification number can be either:
- a microchip number
- a breeder identification number, OR
- a rehoming organisation number.
This new rule applies regardless of:
- the age of the animal
- the place you plan to advertise
- whether you are a hobby or professional breeder; or your cat or dog has had an accidental or one-off litter
- whether or not you bred the animal
- whether or not the animal you are selling or rehoming has been born yet.
If a person advertises a cat or dog for sale from 1 July 2019, and don’t use an identification number, or you falsify a number, you could be issued with an on-the-spot fine or face court, where a maximum penalty of $5,500 applies.
Find out more by visiting: www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/companion-animals