Level 1 Water Restrictions
Level 1 water restrictions are now in place from 1 March, 2020. For information on Level 1 water restrictions, please visit https://lovewater.sydney/
Council is conscious of water being consumed and is complying with guidelines set out by Sydney Water.
Water Sources not Affected
NOTE: The following water sources are not affected by water restrictions. However, many of these water sources have other controls on how they can be used and it's still important to use all water wisely.
- Recycled water (supplied from purple pipes including all or parts of Beaumont Hills, Castle Hill, Kellyville, Kellyville Ridge and Rouse Hill).
- Greywater (water that's collected after being used in washing machines, sinks and showers etc).
- Rainwater (as long as the tank/dam isn't topped up from, or switched to, the drinking water supply).
- Bore water (some government restrictions apply).
- River water (you need to have a licence).
In 2019, Sydney Water conducted a study and found that:
- 77% of all water is used inside the home. 23% is used outdoors.
- A 10 minute shower uses about 100 litres of water.
- An older single flush toilet can use up to 11 litres per flush, while a modern dual-flush toilet uses only 6 litres for a full flush and 3 litres for a half flush.
- The average shower uses 10 litres of water per minute.
- The average outdoor tap can use up to 18 litres per minute.
- The average indoor tap can use up to 4 litres per minute.
- A typical top loaded washing machine uses 110 litres of water per load of washing, while a typical front loader only uses 65 litres of water per load- almost half the amount of water!
- Hand washing your dishes uses around 15 litres of water while the average dishwasher uses 12 litres per load.
- Taking a bath can use on average 113 litres of water, while a 4 minute shower on average would only use 40 litres of water.
- A single flush toilet uses 11 litres of water per flush.
- A dual flush toilet uses 4.5 litres of water for a full flush and 3 litres of water for a half flush.
- The average person flushes the toilet 6 times a day.
For more information on water restrictions, please visit https://lovewater.sydney/