Rates - Pensioner Rebates

Under The Local Government Act 1993, Section 575, eligible pensioners can receive an annual rebate on their rates and charges.   

Eligibility Criteria

Eligible pensioners must meet the following eligibility criteria and hold one of the eligible cards listed below:  

Step 1.Eligibility Criteria

  • the pensioner must own the property
  • the property must be your sole principal place of living;
  • the address on the Pension Card must match the property address


Step 2.Eligible Cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card*
  • Gold Card ** Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • Gold Card ** Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
  • Gold Card ** War Widow/er (WW)

* Issued by the Australian Government

** Issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) under the Veterans’ Entitlement Act 1986 (VEA) or Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA).

War widow or widower or wholly dependent partner are entitled to the DVA income support supplement. If you are a war widow or widower or wholly dependent partner but do not have a Pensioner Concession card, you should contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) for the DVA income support supplement. Eligibility is determined by an income and assets test. 

Cards not eligible for rebate

  • The Health Care Card
  • The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • The NSW Government Seniors Card

For more information, contact Council on 9843 0555 or Centrelink on 132 300 or The Department of Veteran’s Affairs on 133 254

Apply for a Pensioner Rebate

Step 1.Complete the Application Form

PLEASE NOTE: If joint owners are eligible for a pensioner concession, a separate form will need to be completed by each owner to receive the maximum rebate, otherwise only a partial rebate will be granted.

Please complete the Pensioner Concession Rates Rebate Application Form below:

Pensioner Concession Application Form(PDF, 728KB)

PLEASE NOTE: As part of your application, you will need to provide a photocopy of both sides of your Pensioner Concession Card.


Step 2.Send your Application to Council

Email your application to: council@thehills.nsw.gov.au or

Post your application to:

The Hills Shire Council, PO BOX 7064, Norwest NSW 2153. 

For assistance completing this form please contact Council on 9843 0555.