Funding approved to fast track road upgrades in growing communities
Published on 07 May 2021
The upgrade of Annangrove Road, near the Windsor Road intersection, and Terry Road, at the proposed new Box Hill shopping centre, are a step closer.
Council has been successful in securing Special Infrastructure Contribution (SIC) funding from the NSW Government for the design component for both road upgrades.
The road upgrades may receive further funding for construction, subject to the completion of designs, their cost and the availability of SIC funding in future years. SICs are paid by developers to share the cost of delivering essential infrastructure required to support growing communities.
Mayor of The Hills Shire, Dr Michelle Byrne thanked the NSW Government for their contribution.
“I want to extend my thanks to the NSW Government for supporting these essential projects,” Mayor Byrne said.
“Rouse Hill and Box Hill are growing and the need for these roads is very apparent.
“The upgrades will improve our road network, enhance public transport options and help connect Rouse Hill Town Centre to Box Hill Town Centre,” Mayor Byrne added.
NSW Planning and Public Spaces Minister Rob Stokes said SIC funding was important to support infrastructure for growing communities with the funding used for upgrades and developments across the state.
“It’s important our communities have safe, reliable roads and we’re delighted to see The Hills Shire Council secure funding towards the upgrade of Annangrove Road,” said Mr Stokes.
“This will enable better connections in The Hills as the area prepares for future growth – it's exactly the critical infrastructure this funding aims to achieve.”
Council has proposed to carry out the following works on Annangrove Road, between Windsor Road and The Water Lane/ Withers Road intersection at Rouse Hill, with the support of the SIC fund:
- Upgrade of the signalised intersection with Windsor Road, plus adjustment to signal timing and phasing;
- Construction of a new signalised intersection at The Water Lane and Withers Road, with provision for Bus Head Start at the signals;
- Relocation of utilities and provision of street lighting; and
- Widening the existing road reserve to accommodate the cross section for a four lane sub-arterial road.
These works form part of Council’s plan to widen Annangrove Road, between Windsor Road and Edwards Road at Rouse Hill, to four lanes.
Council has also proposed to carry out the following works on Terry Road, fronting the Box Hill Town Centre, with the support of the SIC fund:
- Raising low lying sections of the roadway up to two metres;
- Widen the existing road reserve to accommodate the cross section for a four lane sub-arterial standard road together with major drainage works;
- Relocation of utilities and provision of street lighting;
- Construction of a signalised intersection at Terry Road and Mason Road North; and
- Construction of a pedestrian signalised intersection at Terry Road and Mason Road South (High Street).
The upgrade of Terry Road, also forms part of a larger project to reconstruct and widen the road to four lanes, between Windsor Road and Mason Road North.