Understanding Government Support
You want to start a business in the Hills Shire? Congratulations, The Hills Shire is an excellent business location!
At The Hills Shire Council, we’re here to assist you make informed decisions at every stage of your business development; from starting to running and then growing your business. The Hills is also home to a strong business culture of community and collaboration, so you’ll be well supported during your journey.
If you ever find yourself overwhelmed when navigating which level of government or government organisation is suited to support your business needs, we're here to help.
We have created the summary below to help you better understand and navigate which government organisation to turn to in different times of business need. This page also provides links to key areas of Local (The Hills Shire Council), State (New South Wales) and Federal Government business support options and organisations.
- Economic and demographic profile and key data
- Local permits, licenses and regulatory requirements
- Business support packages and opportunities
- A guide and personal concierge to assist starting a business in NSW
- Business planning templates
- Independent business advice and commercial dispute resolution
- Tenders and grants
- Business tips and tools
- Registering a business name, applying for an ABN and taxation
- Licenses and permits
- Grant and disaster recovery funding
- Tendering opportunities
Do you understand The Hills business and demographic landscape?
We offer a wealth of resources to inform your understanding of the economic, demographic and social landscape of the Hills community.
For a detailed overview of The Hills landscape, visit our:
- Demographic Profile – understand the key characteristics and profiles of your local community to identify your target market in the Hills;
- Demographic Mapping – locate where groups with certain characteristics cluster within the local community and better tailor your marketing efforts;
- Economic Profile – understand the local economy, key economic statistics and The Hills’s strength areas and uncover if investing in the Hills is right for your business;
- Population Profile – understand our future drivers of change and discover population forecasts to tailor your business opportunities and investments within the Hills’s dynamic community.
Do you have any business queries we could assist with?
Our Economic Development team can assist you with anything from business queries, to marketing insights or mentoring and workshop opportunities. A quick meeting with our Economic Development team may open up your business to a vast array of support options you were previously unaware of. Click here to book in time with our team now.
The New South Wales Government provides an array of resources, information and services to assist you successfully start and run your small business.
- Start your business – understand the best business structure for you, register your business, read industry how-to guides and engage with dedicated support services for business advice.
- Grow your business – receive independent business advice and practical insights from independent, professional advisors.
- Grants and funding – find an available government initiative, grant or funding program to assist support your business or project.
Additional key government organisations at a State level which can assist you on your business journey include:
- Service NSW - get government support to start, run and grow your business and adapt in times of change including access to a Concierge to assist you open your business.
- Business NSW – access guides regarding visas and migration, innovation, industry development and exporting.
- Business Connect – get access to independent business advice, practical insights and business skills training on a range of topics.
- NSW Government – official New South Wales government website.
- NSW Small Business Commissioners Office – your first stop as business owner if you have a commercial dispute or require mediation.
- NSW Government Revenue – assist applications for small business benefits and tax related queries.
- Resilience NSW – understand what financial support you may be eligible for in the unfortunate event of a natural disaster.
- NSW eTendering - Australia’s largest provider of state government tenders.
The Australian Government offers comprehensive online business resources with all the essential information you need for planning and starting your business in Australia.
Be sure to visit these key areas:
Additional key government organisations at a Federal level which will assist you on your business journey include:
- Business.gov.au – access to up-to-date resources, support and information for your business.
- Business Australia – access to tips and tools regarding business planning and operations, business obligations, brand and marketing, people and culture and more.
- Australian Taxation Office – portal for all things taxation.
- ASIC – For business – check if you are eligible to operate a business and register your business name and company.
- AusIndustry - work directly with businesses to assist thrive, grow, create jobs and achieve business goals.
- AusTender - a centralised publication of business opportunities, annual procurement plans, multi-use lists and contracts awarded
- Grant Connect – a centralised publication of forecast and current Australian Government grant opportunities and grants awarded.