Fire Safety Tips
- Keep exit routes, paths of travel, fire exits and fire fighting equipment free from any obstruction and non-complying locking devices.
- Properly delineate the exit routes or alternatively clearly define areas for storage, racks, cabinets or the like.
- Do not use hose reel cabinets, switch rooms or plant rooms for storage.
- Do not obstruct accessibility to fire fighting equipment e.g. fire hydrants, hose reels, portable fire extinguisher, etc.
- Note the locations of smoke detectors and sprinkler heads. Plan the locations of your stored material in stacks or racks so that they will not be closer than 500mm from any smoke detector or sprinkler head.
- Look for and promptly replace burnt tubes or globes in illuminated exit signs and emergency lighting.
- Do not keep open fire-rated doors i.e. those protecting the door openings on firewalls or fire-isolated stairs.
- Take out a maintenance contract for the periodic inspection and testing of essential fire safety measures. Submit an Form 15 Fire Safety Certificate 07 - 40 KB or Form 15A Annual Fire Safety Certificate 07 - 39 KB to Council by a mutually agreed target date each year.
- Adopt emergency evacuation procedures within the organisation as part of the OH & S policies. Involve staff in the periodic review of these procedures. Train staff on how to use fire-fighting equipment. Practice fire drills. Carry out regular workplace safety audits.