About the Library
The Hills Shire Council's Library Service operates five library branches with staff dedicated to providing friendly and efficient service in a relaxed atmosphere.
The Library Service combines tradition with technology, providing the opportunity to learn, generate ideas or simply catch up on the news of the day.
For more information on the Libraries please click on the following links:
Customer Service Standards
The Hills Shire Library Service values its customers. Our purpose is to serve the community in providing information, education, culture and social connection. We strive to offer the best possible library materials, staff, technology and facilities, with ready and equal access for residents of all ages.
Read the Customer Service Standards here Customer Service Standards (124.91kB)
Joining the Library
Conditions of use
By becoming a member of The Hills Shire Library, you agree to comply with the Conditions of use as amended by Council from time to time.
- Members agree to take good care of all library materials borrowed and will reimburse Council for the cost of any loss or damage to these materials.
- Members agree to immediately pay to Council relevant fees and charges associated with the use of library facilities, materials and services as determined by Council.
- Members must comply with the conditions of the Copyright Act 1968.
- Members must obey at all times the lawful direction of library staff.
- Parents and guardians are responsible for their children's selections and use of library materials and services, including access to the internet.
- Parents and guardians are responsible for any loss, damage or charges incurred by their children.
- Parents and guardians are responsible for supervising their children whilst in the Library.
- Members are required to advise library staff as soon as possible of any changes in membership details or loss of library card.
- The reminder email service is a courtesy to members. Absence of a reminder is not a valid reason for a waiver of fees.
- Members borrow items at their own risk. The Hills Shire Library service is not responsible for any loss or damage occuring from the use of items borrowed from the collection.
- Comply with Public Access Computer terms and conditions of use as agreed to at log on.
The Conditions of use are subject to change without notice.
Borrowing, renewals and returns
- Mon, Tue, Wed: 5am-9am and 6pm-12am
- Thurs: 5am-9am and 9pm-12am
- Fri: 5am-9am and 6pm-12am
- Sat: 5am-9.30am and 5pm-12am
- Sun: 5am-12.30pm and 5pm-12am
- All other times please use returns machine located on level 1
Fees and charges as at 1 July 2014
|Public access e-mail
Internet access -maximum 2 hours per customer per day
Photocopying / Printing
|Black & White A4
|Black & White A3
|Colour A4 (Castle Hill and Rouse Hill only)
|Colour A3 (Castle Hill and Rouse Hill only)
|Inter-Library loan requests
|Send 1st page (STD & local only)
|Subsequent pages (p/page)
|Replace membership card
|Lost or damaged items
-Item cost + administration charge
2nd notice additional
3rd final notice additional
|Castle Hill and Vinegar Hill Memorial Library Meeting Rooms
$5.70 (per 1/2 hour)
$10.30 (per hour)
|Sonya Phillips Room, Castle Hill and William Bernard Room, Vinegar Hill
||$28.00 (per hour)
(in addition to the room hire fee)
|$53.00 (per exam)
1% surcharge on credit card transactions
*Denotes items that do not attract GST
+61 2 9761 5735
+61 2 9761 5745
+61 2 9761 4510
+61 2 9761 5755
+61 2 8889 5200
Minimising Overdue Charges
Return your items on or before the due date.
Use the after hours chute outside any branch for the return of items when the library is closed.
Provide the library with your correct email address. You will be sent a courtesy email reminder notice a few days before your items are due to be returned.
Renew your items before they are due. Items may be renewed once for a further three weeks, either in person, by phone or online.All items may be renewed unless they are overdue or have been reserved by another borrower.
When you borrow, rather than taking a few items on each family member's card, try to borrow the maximum of 10 items on one or two cards.
Going on holidays? Let a staff member know before you borrow and an extended loan period can be arranged.
Remember, talk to us before fines become a problem. We will be pleased to help.
- Reference and Information
- Local Studies
- Children's Programs
- Seminar Program
- Book Clubs
- Knitting and Craft Groups
- Computer Access
- Home Library Service
- Seniors Bus
- Council Services
- Justice of the Peace
- Meeting / Study rooms
- Save power kits